Ferrari to Enter Segment? - Mercedes AMG GT Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ferrari to Enter Segment?

Sergio has just been chatting with Autocar and he let it be known that Ferrari is interested in building a new Dino. Not something super cheap, but a compliment to the California, probaably similar to the relationship the Boxster and Cayman have, each being the others half...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ned-sports-car
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 PM

Was hoping they wouldn't go any lower with segments but this sort of volume aim is growing among many supercar companies.
They know if they build it A LOT will come. Was never a fan of the California, hopefully this tops it well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:24 PM

So, it has less power, and is cheaper, but don't worry, they won't build enough of them so you still probably won't be able to get one.

I just don't understand how they are expecting to charge people so much when the car just isn't at the same level as their others.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
So, it has less power, and is cheaper, but don't worry, they won't build enough of them so you still probably won't be able to get one.

I just don't understand how they are expecting to charge people so much when the car just isn't at the same level as their others.
I'm not sure where you gleaned that insight. The California is already a huge volume model for them, this new model is not going any farther below the California, it will be on far with the Cali, it will just stuff the engine behind the driver instead of in the nose. You know like a REAL FERRARI...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.FeelGood View Post
I'm not sure where you gleaned that insight. The California is already a huge volume model for them, this new model is not going any farther below the California, it will be on far with the Cali, it will just stuff the engine behind the driver instead of in the nose. You know like a REAL FERRARI...
OK. So same-same but different. I just wasn't quite getting what exactly made this new model different. Thanks.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.FeelGood View Post
I have a feeling it will get more interest, to the folks that want more of a real traditional ferrari, something i approve of
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
I have a feeling it will get more interest, to the folks that want more of a real traditional ferrari, something i approve of
Yes thats exactly the logic they're using. People love the California but Ferrari has noted they're not the typical Ferrari clientele. The Cali is an 'entry level' Ferrari , now they want to offer a traditional experience at 'entry level'
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM

It's a good play, better than the California that's for sure.

Might even be good enough that they consider doing things to it the California wasn't worthy of.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
It's a good play, better than the California that's for sure.

Might even be good enough that they consider doing things to it the California wasn't worthy of.
but its not that the california wasn't 'worthy' its that Ferrari wanted to build a car that did those things to attract that different clientele. Obviously they've found significant appetite for a 458-Lite type of car at the bottom. Like the Cayman is to 911...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM

I think that it will do well considering the current trend towards performance vehicles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page