AMG GT S Supply and Demand Discrepancy Affecting US Sales - Mercedes AMG GT Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
AMG GT S Supply and Demand Discrepancy Affecting US Sales

The first six months of sales for the AMG GT S stands at 900 in the US. Those numbers are a bit disappointing when compared to the Porsche 911 which sold 5,000 units in the same period.

The problem doesn't seem to be that people don't want the AMG GT S. The issue is that they can't get it. Supply and demand are out of whack.

Quote:
This might be down to a large number of preorders that need to be satisfied, and Mercedes-AMG could crank up the number of GTs heading over to the States once those are taken care of, but right now, all the cars coming into dealerships are pre-ordered, there are no cars for test driving and the waiting time is probably putting a lot of people off.
I suppose that sales will catch up when production does, and I'm sure that having it be hard to find only makes the wonders feel cooler, and the ones who are looking want it more.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/me...y-101600.html#
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM

How long do you think it'll take before they clear up the backlog? People may look to other cars if the wait is too long.
If Mercedes thought that the AMG was going to sell really well why didn't they allot more resources to producing it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nothing was really said in the article, but I assume that there is a big list of cars to be delivered based on pre-orders. Once that is done the frequency of sales will decline. So it doesn't make sense for MB to have way more production capacity because they would only need it now, and then it would go unneeded once the initial burst is done with.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:53 AM

I love that this car is hard to get! I have had a number of exotics over the years and I look for quality, preformance and exclusivity as the basis of my purchase. I love the Porsche lineup but they have zero wow factor! Even in the interior of British Columbia there are at least 30 in my town. I spent that much on a car so I can admire it at 2am in my garage wearing my pajamas with a cup of hot chocolate! The car embodies a number of great cars including an ass like a 911. The less they make, the more special the car becomes! That's why the used SLS Coupe market is skyrocketing. Here in Canada every time an SLS Coupe comes up for sale they're being bought by Germans for over original MSRP and shipped back. Let's hope the GTS remains an exclusive and in demand car. In my experience, in all categories, hard to get is always the best reward!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM

At the rate it's going the GT S is most definitly going to be exclusive for a long while. 900 in all of America.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Garage
Totally agree with Sonic Blue.

No question, Porsche makes an amazing car. However, they do tend to look all the same. Nothing really stands out, well...except the 918 Spyder! *drool*

I have yet to even see another GTS on the road in BC.

Don't let the car fool you...
My real treasure is in Heaven!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM

Not that bad of an issue to have since I noticed that people are quite loyal to a vehicle like this and might wait it out or jump on the opportunity once it's available, still, they should be making efforts to ramp up getting it out. I'm a big Porsche fan and still would wait for an AMG GT.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_McG View Post
Totally agree with Sonic Blue.

No question, Porsche makes an amazing car. However, they do tend to look all the same. Nothing really stands out, well...except the 918 Spyder! *drool*

I have yet to even see another GTS on the road in BC.
I think they live by, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But I will say that their electric vehicle concept was really cool looking.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Mercedes-AMG Expands Engine Production Capacity

Quote:
...the engine manufacturing plant in Affalterbach isn’t coping with current demand, so measures had to be taken.

As a result, the production of AMG’s twelve-cylinder units will be moved to a new location at Daimler’s site in Mannheim. Of course, the change of location won’t affect the AMG tradition of “one man, one engine,” the same principle continuing to be applied over at the new plant as well.

The Mannheim site will begin assembling V12 biturbo engines in February of next year, taking full advantage of the modern layout of the new location and its well-thought-out ergonomics, designed to facilitate the philosophy of a single technician working on one engine. The workforce in Mannheim has been undergoing training in Affalterbach for months and will be fully ready to place their signatures on the plates that are then bolted to every engine, as a quality and exclusivity assurance.

This means that the Affalterbach plant will continue to assemble the range of AMG V8 engines, which make up for the bulk of the company’s orders. Moving the V12 engine manufacture means clearing up more space that allows an increase in the production of V8 engines. Since the Mannheim site will kick off with completely new workforce, the employees who previously worked on V12 engines are going to remain in Affalterbach and contribute to the expansion of V8 engines production.
Seems as though the y reacted to the issue quite quickly. Great news.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Good news for those employees!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page