GTS Transmission Failure - Mercedes AMG GT Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down GTS Transmission Failure

I'm at a loss for words...

I purchased a 2016 amg gts at Bonita springs Mercedes-Benz with only 1700 miles. On my way home from the dealer, the transmission fails at 90 mph. Completely dead, car won't even go into drive. I was lucky enough not to get into an accident. The car was towed back to the dealer and despite being offered a discount to keep the car, which was getting a new transmission put in, I asked for my money back.

Fast forward 1 week, I purchase another 2016 amg gts, this time from mercedes benz of miami, with only 225 miles.

Within 24 hours of picking up the car, while driving at 30mph, the car has the same failure. Transmission is dead.

The dealer tells me that they're aware of this issue but mbusa hasn't dealt with it.

How can mbusa sell these cars knowing they could fail so catastrophically and cause injuries? I really can't believe this.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Wow, that sounds like a string of bad lick with the AMG's. Not sure if you just managed to get the few lemons out there or if it's really that prevalent of a problem but manifests at different times for everyone. Wouldn't make sense to have every single AMG break down right out of the dealership of there would be a recall by now.

Are you planning to stick with AMG or just tell the dealership to take it back?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM

When it rains, it pours ?!

That's definitely a bad strike of luck on two occasions. Have you tried a third? They say third times the charm...?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've given both cars back to Mercedes and I'm waiting to hear what it is they're planning on doing to make this right. I flew out to the first dealership to pick up the first lemon, and spent half a day waiting for a tow truck for the 2nd one.

Not sure if I can have the patience to go through this with a third car. When the first car died on me at 90 mph on the highway it was not a pleasant experience, barely escaped being run over by a truck trying to pull over. I wouldn't want to wish this on anyone.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM

What you've had to experience is extremely unfortunate. I honestly wouldn't even bother going for a third. It's going to be interesting to see how they plan on compensating you for this. Especially after all that trouble you've went to just to obtain them and now having to deal with a serious situation that could have ended very badly for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page