Mercedes-AMG GT S Costs $270,000 in China - Mercedes AMG GT Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes-AMG GT S Costs $270,000 in China

The Chinese are buying a lot of cars, but you have to be mega-wealthy (twice as wealthy as people in other places) to purchase an AMG GT S. The AMG GT S is priced at 1.68 million yuan, which converts to about $270,000.

Compare that to the price of the AMG GT S in America, $130,000.

Quote:
local customers are probably used to this type of treatment from their local dealerships. Everything that's not locally made in China is subjected to high taxation and becomes ludicrously expensive. For instance, the SL 350 Roadster, which we'd consider inferior to the AMG GT, costs almost the same at 1.54 million yuan.
Apparently, the Chinese government taxes any vehicle with an engine bigger than 4-liters by 40%! Below 4 liters the tax is only at 17%.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/me...sls-95441.html
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A lot of wealthy folks in China, especially with how their economy is growing and how it will continue to grow. Hopefully a good portion of those Chinese owners sign up here!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think that the economy will continue to grow but not at the same rate. It is just impossible to keep that up consistently. I also think that this boom that China has is creating some big wealthy players, but those people will entrench their power and the wealth will not transfer down to the rest of the population that is still pretty poor. That is just the feeling that I get in the long term on China.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Interesting will be to see if Mercedes makes any moves to combat the vicious chinese tax on big motors. VW is looking at selling the Huracan and R8 in China with a superchaged and e-charged 5 cylinder... anything above 2.0 is taxed hard at 4.0L they go for the jugular...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...cylinder-.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 05:11 PM

I don't see how Mercedes can fight these big taxes. China decides and I don't think that they are feeling much pressure from other governments. China does what it wants.

What moves can Mercedes make?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I think that the economy will continue to grow but not at the same rate. It is just impossible to keep that up consistently. I also think that this boom that China has is creating some big wealthy players, but those people will entrench their power and the wealth will not transfer down to the rest of the population that is still pretty poor. That is just the feeling that I get in the long term on China.
They'll even take their wealth out of the country, with that sort of wealth and freedom, it's quite easy to move your assets.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I don't see how Mercedes can fight these big taxes. China decides and I don't think that they are feeling much pressure from other governments. China does what it wants.

What moves can Mercedes make?
something like Audi is going to do, comply with the takes by using a smaller engine. Audis got a 5 cylinder making more power then there V10. Mercedes has that stupid powerful 4 cylinder, who knows what they could do with that and maybe e-AWD..

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Kelly View Post
something like Audi is going to do, comply with the takes by using a smaller engine. Audis got a 5 cylinder making more power then there V10. Mercedes has that stupid powerful 4 cylinder, who knows what they could do with that and maybe e-AWD..
were going to see the asian market drive product deveolpment its already happening...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Their markets are viable enough that they not only get what we get but special versions for their market that require extensive changes. Crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page