post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cabin Noise From AMG GT:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some cabin noises I've been experiencing with my AMG GT. Personally, I am quite reluctant to bring in any of my cars to the dealer (it's a trust thing) so it took a lot for me to bring my AMG GT in. It's a 2017 model year purchased about 7-8 months ago. At first the instrument gauge cluster began making rattling noises on uneven road surfaces and progressively worsened over time. Then the subwoofer in the trunk began making a rattling noise when deeper bass notes would come about in music. I'm not really the type to play my music loud nor crank the bass up all the way (settings are 2 treble, 1 bass). I finally took the car in to the dealer and the shop foreman mentioned that they currently have a recall for the instrument gauge cluster due to many customers complaining that theirs were rattling too. He heard the noise in the subwoofer and said that the subwoofer was blown and he'd replace it. Got the car back after about a week and the noises went away.

Tonight, driving home on relatively smooth roads, the rear strut tower brace began making a strange noise. Like something was loose inside of it. When I lightly put my hand on it, the noise stops. If anyone has the same issue please write below.

Thank you and sorry for the novel.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the recall heads up! Most days I'm wary of the service department as well because they're always trying to push unneeded things on me.

Hmmm, sounds like the rear strut tower brace wasn't bolted on tight enough? Maybe it's a bit loose and causing it to rattle a bit. That's just my 2 cents.
rnbwamg likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Always thought that going to independent shops even for a second opinion is worth doing. Sometimes you get lucky and find dealers that act a broker for a wide range of brands, those are the guys that stay on top of customer service, which comes back to the type of people they hire.... at least from my experience.
rnbwamg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So it turns out that rear brace (according to the shop foreman at the dealer) is not a structural piece. So not a functioning strut tower brace. He claims it is only there to stop the things in your trunk from hitting you in case of an accident. Regardless, I'm waiting for it to make more noise before I bring it in. So far it hasn't done it since!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm not sure how to reply directly to one person in this thread but @Fastlane you pose a good point. I'm going to a local shop in a couple weeks to have my renntech coilover sleeves installed. They happen to work on my buddy's c63 black series and he speaks very highly of them so maybe i'll ask them about any common issues with the AMG GT chassis while I'm there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Feel free to post any noises you guys are having with your AMG GT's as well! Would love to know that I'm not the only one
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbwamg View Post
I'm not sure how to reply directly to one person in this thread but @Fastlane you pose a good point. I'm going to a local shop in a couple weeks to have my renntech coilover sleeves installed. They happen to work on my buddy's c63 black series and he speaks very highly of them so maybe i'll ask them about any common issues with the AMG GT chassis while I'm there.
Before I thought it was weird to depend on those shops rather than official dealerships but a lot of times guys that have real knowledge and a passion for this stuff move on either starting a shop or look for somewhere with competitive pay. I have a friend in Toronto that prefers going to a local shop called Mechatronic vs the Dealer for his Gallardo. Looking at the reviews and the cars they get... its no surprise.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a GT and I have the instrument panel rattle and a rattle behind the Middle
Screen. Also some place in the rear. Then there’s the road noise. I am surprised at all the noise and rattles inside. A bit disappointed really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rattle - Airduct / Hood Hinge

I had a rattle that only occurred on rough roads. It seemed to come from the passenger side a-pillar / dashboard area. I brought it to Mercedes Benz of Burlington in MA, a super competent shop with great reputation. They determined that it was related to the passenger side hood air vent and hood hinge installation. The redid everything and installed the hood hinge such that there was zero stress in the system. The problem seems to be gone. There is actually a PTSS case (LI62.30-P-061211) for this one, so it was a known issue. Perhaps this is a useful hint and some of you have the same issue. I would not have guessed this was the issue from the noise. It is very obscure.

Last edited by rt7085; 10-04-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM

I brought my 2016 in for noises in the rear of the car and they said there is a service bulletin about the rear stabilizing bar along with sound files to compare. Took the service rep for a drive and he heard them and they tightened bolts and put some sound deadening tape between parts in the rear of the car. Have not had a sound since.
Fastlane likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page