GTS Wheel Lock-Up From Parking Overnight - Mercedes AMG GT Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GTS Wheel Lock-Up From Parking Overnight

I would like to share an issue about my GTS.

After a couple of months of driving the new 2017 GTS in the fall of 2016, I encountered a wheel lock-up issue when moving the car from Park after parking overnight. The issue has occurred intermittently, about 5 to 6 times in two years with no apparent consistency.

This was what happened. When I was trying to back out the GTS after parking overnight in the garage with the parking brake applied automatically, I noticed that the car did not move when the gas pedal was tapped. It felt like the GTS was held in place by the brakes. When the gas pedal was depressed more, the car would attempt to roll but held back still. Until the engine ran up to about 1200 rpm, the GTS would become free suddenly with a loud “clunk” noise. Thereafter, the GTS would behave and run normally for one to 6 months before re-occurring.

After bringing the issue to the dealer and experienced more occurrences, it was determined that the electric parking brake was properly released but the wheels were locked up for un-known reasons (at least in my view).

The dealer stated that this is normal and is a result of the brake pad sticking to the rotor after parking overnight or longer, perhaps due to moisture in the air. I stated that when the brake pad was able to hold the car in place with such a holding power, it is not normal any more.

When this happened in August, I made a video to show the dealer. I wonder if anyone has experienced similar wheel lock-up with your GTS?
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 PM

Yes, I have this issue after I wash the car and park it (clean) in my garage. I make a point of driving the car and clean the fly rust off the rotors before I park it. I have no issues then. My M5 did the same, so it is not unique to the this car.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 PM
gml

Unhappy Wheel Lock up overnight

I have a 2016 AMG GTS & experience exactly the same problems with the wheels locking intermittently when parked up. It happens quite frequently now - at least once a week. Its been back to the dealer twice. They said theres nothing wrong with it but more-so a characteristic of the car! Dont know how I could drive it away if parallel parked. Love the car but probably get rid of it now because of this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for sharing your experience of such a problem.

I would agree that it is common with most cars parking overnight after washing the car or driving in the rain. But for most cars, the lock up is uneventful with a small release sound and hardly any hold-up.

With my GTS, the car was held up until the engine ran up to over 1000 rpm. That is a significant lock up. In comparison, the car rolls off from standstill at the idle rpm of about 600.

I am taking the position that such strong lock up is not common among the GTS's. I am requesting MB to look into the issue. The dealer told me that MB Canada and Germany are looking into it. I also suggested to have the the caliper and pads replaced as the best guess to fix the problem.

Once I get the feed backs from the dealer, I will share with this Forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes AMG GT Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page